Cryotherapy treatment – How does it work?
Step 1. View the contraindications.
Cryotherapy is a treatment method for a very wide spectrum of ailments and disorders. Cryotherapy is also very safe. However, there are situations in which we advise you not to use it. Cryotherapy treatment is not desirable in a number of cases.
Contraindications for cryotherapy
- Moderately or severely elevated blood pressure (blood pressure above 180/95 mmHg)
- An acute heart attack, or a heart attack within the past 6 months
- Unstable angina pectoris: chest pain that occurs without direct cause and will not simply cease by itself (imminent heart attack)
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Cardiovascular diseases in which symptoms are present
- A pacemaker
- Intermittent claudication (also called peripheral arterial disease)
- Venous thrombosis: a blood clot in the veins
- Acute cerebral haemorrhage or a stroke in the past
- Epileptic seizures
- Raynaud’s phenomenon
- Reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome
- Lung conditions in which symptoms are present
- Bleeding disorders
- Severe anaemia
- Claustrophobia (fear of small or confined spaces)
- Cold allergy
- Persons younger than 18 years old (parental consent is required for treatment)
- Acute kidney diseases and acute disorders of the urinary tract
- Under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Step 2. Make an appointment.
There are two ways to make an appointment:
Step 3. Be sure to bring the following items.
Check at home whether you have all the things you need for your visit to us:
- Gentlemen: swimming trunks or sports shorts. Ladies: swimsuit/bikini or sports shorts and top.
- Bathrobe (alternatively you can rent one at Freezlab for € 5 per visit)
- Identity document
- Debit or credit card (sorry, we do not accept cash)
Step 4. Check in at Freezlab Amsterdam.
- You will receive a pair of socks and slippers from us, and then you can go to the changing rooms to get changed.
- Please wear swimwear or sports shorts (and a top for the ladies), and socks and slippers. Be particularly careful to ensure your clothes are not wet. Wet clothes could freeze in the Freezlab chamber and this may cause serious injuries.
- Slip into your bathrobe and return to the front desk. Have you forgotten your bathrobe? You can rent one from us for €5 per visit.
- You will find the waiting area for the Freezlab chamber opposite the reception. The Freezlab operator will assist you as soon as the chamber is available. Up to 4 people can enter the chamber in a single session.
- The operator will give you a facemask, earmuffs and gloves. You will also be given instructions before the session starts. Please follow the instructions carefully.
- When everything is ready for the WBC session to start the Freezlab operator will ask you to hang up your bathrobe and enter the Freezlab chamber antechamber.
- The temperature in the antechamber is -60˚C. After 20 seconds, our operator will ask you to enter the next chamber. Here, the temperature is -110°C.
- You will maintain eye contact with the Freezlab operator through the large window. Continue to follow his or her instructions carefully.
Step 5. Step into the Whole Body Cryo chamber.
- Make sure not to touch the Freezlab chamber walls.
- Pay close attention to the Freezlab operator through the window. Always follow his or her instructions.
- The operator will indicate how much time has passed every 30 seconds, through the intercom.
- The operator will also regularly ask you whether you’re still feeling OK. If so, please give the thumbs up.
- If at some point you do not feel well, you can immediately leave the chamber through the two doors. Please ensure the doors are properly closed behind you.
Step 6. Leave the cryo chamber.
- When the operator informs you that the session is over, please open the first door to the antechamber.
- When all participants are in the antechamber, close the door between the chamber and the antechamber. Subsequently everyone can exit through the outer door.
- It is normal for the skin to be red just after treatment, and to feel a tingling sensation throughout the body.
- After the session, you can take a seat in our lounge or have some fun jumping on one of the Bellicon trampolines. Alternatively, you could also return to the changing rooms to get dressed immediately after treatment.
- You can find more information about cryotherapy in the lounge.
We would love to hear about your experiences!New customer Schedule